September is National Suicide Prevention Month
While this data is the most accurate we have, we estimate the numbers to be higher. Stigma surrounding suicide leads to underreporting, and data collection methods critical to suicide prevention need to be improved.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US.
- For every suicide 25 attempt.
- Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
- Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.